2012 so far sucks! Big time!

by Henrik on January 9, 2012

I was sitting in my couch today, as I have done a lot recently, reading the always entertaining Dave Tries Ballet’s latest blogpost about his achievements in the first week of 2012. Since Dave is all “yay, pirouettes and performances and stuff”, I figured I’d level things out a bit with a similar post of my own…

Grumpy from Snow white and the seven dwarfes

No ballet makes me Grumpy!

My first week of 2012 has sucked! Big time!

The first week after holidays is always fun, everyone gets back in the studio, back in their tights, back on their pointes. We talk about muscle strain and christmas dinners, laugh about padding ’round the waist and pirouettes that won’t realize the brake is over. It’s all very nice and cozy, really, getting back together with colleagues and, most importantly, back in the ballet studio, doing your ‘thang’.

Only problem is, the only time I was in a studio this week was to say ‘hi’ to my colleagues between their classes, before heading to physiotherapy or the swimming pool or back home to the couch or wherever it was I was going… I won’t whine a lot about it, but being injured sucks. Big time!

If you are following my Tights and Tiaras rambles on Facebook or Twitter, you might already know the story behind why I still haven’t done a single tendu in 2012. If not, here’s the shorty:   In the beginning of December, my right knee started hurting. It all came to a peak when I landed badly from a jump onstage, and weren’t able to walk much afterwards.. Bummer. Couple of doctors later, I got the great news: I broke a piece of my meniscus, and need surgery. Double bummer. During surgery, the doctor found that the ‘situation’ in there was worse than expected, pieces of the meniscus had to be removed from both the inside and the outside of my knee, one an older damage, one new. Anymore bummers?!

Still a bit to go before my knees look about the same…

The good news is, this kind of surgery is very common, especially amongst sportsmen, and most of them return to their full abilities after recovery training. So I’m doing my lifting and stretching and bending, hoping to get back in shape as soon as possible. But first, my knee  needs to regain a normal shape..

So, my first week of 2012 has been a shitty one. The computer and the playstation keeps me entertained, but you know, it’s only fun for so long… Not being able to dance when it is all you have ever done is actually really hard. It got me thinking a lot, too, but I’ll let you in on that another time. For now, you know you can count on me for getting some grumpy groans out there on the ether.  People, enjoy your classes, your runs in the hills and your bicycle rides. And mind, I’ll catch up on you guys – once I’m able to bend my knee with some weight on it!

Because spending more time in the doctors office than in the ballet studio sucks. Big time!

Sandra Lindsey January 9, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Best wishes for a full recovery! A friend of mine had surgery on her foot around the same time as your knee surgery and between the two of you my facebook page keeps filling up with post-op photos. I don’t know how you do it, but you both seem to post at the same time!

Henrik January 10, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Thank you for the well wishes! Haha, maybe we have some unknown connection.. Or maybe post operated people just like to whine a little about their pains and stuff.. who knows :P

Stefanie January 9, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Such a bummer, Henrik! Sometimes all you can do is rant and rave. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

Henrik January 10, 2012 at 7:41 pm

This post IS a bit of a rant, isn’t it?! Well, I guess I’m allowed a little ranting, after all, they took away my most important working tool.. I’d see a plumber that doesn’t rant if you take away his wrenches… Thank you for your well-wishes!! :)

Vicki January 9, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Been there! Darn meniscus!

But we (all of your friends and readers) love you and are thinking of you. You will be back to fabulous in no time. Better than ever :)

Henrik January 10, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Darn Meniscus indeed! Thank you for your wishes, I will try to get back to fabulous as fast as possible :P :D

Terrry January 9, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Oh! I can totally understand how you must be feeling! Waaaay back when I was still dancing in a company I had an overuse injury which kept me away from class and stage for nearly three months. That was VERY hard! If you can, use the time to read up on other things and do creative things – even if you have never painted or drawn before, you can always start doing something along those lines! It is good for your inner-self, you know? Above all, take it easy, and I wish you a speedy, nearly painless recovery!

Henrik January 10, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Ouch, three months, thats a long time! For now, I’m good with my books and my ps3 for entertainment, but maybe you are right about my inner-self – I’ll give it a shot! Thank you for your nice wishes! H

Leigh Purtill January 9, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Henrik, I’m a new reader of your blog and really enjoy it so I hope you can use it as a creative outlet as you recuperate. It really does suck to be injured but I had to laugh at your first line, “I was sitting in my couch today.” I imagined your couch swallowing you up while you were playing video games. lol…cheers!!

Henrik January 10, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Hi Leigh – And welcome to Tights and Tiaras :) I hope you’re able to find lots of interesting articles, search the archive if you will, I’ve written quite a lot :)
You hit the nail on the spot regarding the couch and the video games, though, it has been known to happen… ;) I’ll try to write some normal, not-angry-rant-posts as well as I get better, just needed to vent a little here. Thanks for your support, and see you ’round the blog?! :) H

Imogen January 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm

So sorry to hear the bad news – what a stinker for you. Get well soon!

Henrik January 10, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Thank you, Imogen! A stinker it is indeed! :)

Imogen January 11, 2012 at 4:07 pm

But you’re a tenacious one – you’ll get there!

Seven of Nine Davids January 11, 2012 at 8:41 pm

What you need is the Lockheed Martin HULC Exoskeleton. Watch their YouTube video about what this things does. It is da shit !!

It just needs to be adapted to ballet dancers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kat8I5UM_Vs

4dancers January 13, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I’m just so bummed for you my friend. Hang in there!

Henrik January 13, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Thanks, C! It’s ok, though, not as bad as it might have seemed in this post. Note to self: calm down, re-read, then press ‘publish’ :D

Natalia January 13, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Haha, reading your comments about this post made me laugh… but nonetheless, an injury which keeps you from something you love is a terrible thing (that deserves to be ranted about!).

Hopefully you recover quickly, and don’t become too brainwashed by your ps3…

Henrik January 14, 2012 at 8:09 am

Hi Natalia. Yes, I might have been in a bit of a ranting mood when I wrote this.. Oh, well, at least it’s honest :)
And no worries for the brainwashing – I do quite a lot of reading too, just to balance things off :)
Thanks for your nice wishes! H

Cosette January 14, 2012 at 12:35 am

Hey Henrik! It had passed some time since my last comment but I keep reading all your entries. ;) I’m also injured so I didn’t have my first Ballet class from 2012 yet. I have an ankle sprain on my left foot and in your words, it really sucks a lot to be unable to dance! Fortunatly, I didn’t break any bone. Today it was my first day walking and hopefully I’ll be back to work on February. I didn’t made the injury on the Academy I’m taking classes, but on my school while having P.E class. They paid me the doctor to see if everything was okay with my bones, but I’m not so sure about physiotherapy. It it something that I’m going to try next week.

I wish you a good recovery! ;)

Henrik January 14, 2012 at 8:12 am

Hi Cosette – I’m sorry about your ancle, that sucks!! I know just how you feel!
Do you have some insurance that might pay for the P.T. if your school doesn’t? It’s really worth it, it will make you stronger and able to heal alot quicker – see if you can find a way. And I wish you a speedy recovery, and big leaps back to the studio as fast as possible!
Best wishes, H

Crystal May 11, 2012 at 6:58 pm

My boyfriend is a former elite ballet dancer. Thank you for this blog, as he is dealing with an overuse injury on his right knee, not being free to move is very difficult for him emotionally. I want to understand his feelings, and help him through this time. He lived to dance and danced over thirty years. When his dance carrer was coming to an end, he obtained higher education and is a lawyer now but its very dissapointing to him as the people he deals with are mundane compared to dance. Help me understand how to support him.